Friday, October 1, 2010

Sending A Message

October 1:  PHILLIES 11, Atlanta 5

Just in case the Braves thought they would roll over a Phillies club with nothing more to play for tonight, the Phils sent a message ... we're the Beast of the East, the Best of the NL.

J-Roll sent a message ... I'm not fully back from the leg problems ... but don't think I'm not a dangerous hitter.

Kyle Kendrick sent a message ... I may have been inconsistent against the rest of the National League, but I have the Braves' number.

Domonic Brown sent a message ... I may be a rookie, but I can draw a key two-out walk to drive home the go-ahead run.

The bullpen, save Zagurski in the ninth, sent a message ... Charlie's going to keep us loose and give us innings, but he's also keeping us fresh ... and while he's doing that, we'll chuck a bunch of goose eggs.

What makes 2010 so much different than the last four years is that:

In 2007, no one expected us to catch the Mets, let alone win the division
In 2008, we were just happy as all get-out to get to the World Series
In 2009, we just wanted a chance to defend the title

In 2010, expectations entering the season were high, became tempered with the offensive malaise of June and July, and soared with the team's play following "The Houston Massacre".  I think folks expect the Phils to win.  Not hope that they'll win.  Not hope for a chance to repeat.

We'll see.

For me, I will follow what has become tradition in my house ... cheesesteaks served for good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in commenting on one of our posts. Please be courteous and respectful when posting comments.